Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Generation Defined by Harry Potter

       In class we were asked what is a defining thing in our generation such as a movie, book or show. The generation I'm talking about are the children of the generation X or the kids born somewhere in the late 1980's early 1990's. I chose to represent our generation by the series Harry Potter, which we practically grew up with.  Harry Potter the character in the movie as I remember has always been around the same age as me from each movie, maybe that's why it was so much more recognizable to me. The characters all had certain qualities that others in my age group did.
       Our generation is much more seen to be whinny and given everything in our life. Just like in Harry Potter sure Ron was poor but he sure seemed to have all the food he desired. Herminone never was short of a book and Harry had presents periodically flown to him. Also my generation has dealt with the normalcy of being without a "normal" family in cases of increasing divorce rates, adoption, and foster care. Harry relates to that as himself being an orphan and the children in Harry Potter being separated at times from parents; as in the case of Herminones human parents. Harry's experience to entering Hogwarts and the magical world was that of new and unknown  possibilities. This relates much to my generation being raised in the new technology era, the endless possibilities. Also characters like Herminone with high self confidence from an early age helps in representing a change in the way girls in my generation see themselves, there is a sense of self strength and ability to be who they are.  The thing that most correlates with the Harry Potter Series and my generation is the curiosity. Harry and his friends were always exploring and trying to discover new things that surround them is what I can relate to the most. Our generation has had to deal with the ever so changing environment around us due to technology, exploring and learning as we go.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you compared Harry entering Hogwarts with unknown possibilities to our generation being raised in the new technology era. I never thought of it that way until now, we are experiencing new things with technology that might almost seem like magic to the generations before us. I also like how you mentioned that harry and his friends were always curios and trying to discover new things just like our generation has to deal with the environment changing all around us. I think you have some good examples on why the Harry Potter series defines our generation.

    ReplyDelete